This brown bread recipe makes a deliciously soft loaf with a slightly sweet, maple flavour. Perfect for pairing with fresh homemade soup or for packing sandwiches in lunches.
Makes 2 loaves.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours 35 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup Beary Berry Honey Maple Honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-4 cups all-purpose white flour
1. In a stand mixer, combine water, yeast, molasses, cocoa, olive oil, Maple Honey, salt, and 2 cups whole wheat flour. Mix until combined.
2. Gradually add the rest of the flour, starting with the remaining whole wheat flour, then adding the white flour until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl. Knead for 5-7 minutes. Dough should be soft and slightly tacky.
3. Transfer dough to a large, lightly greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
4. Punch down dough and divide into two evenly-sized pieces. Shape into a tight oval loaves and place in greased bread pans. Lightly cover with a dish towel and let rise again until doubled in size.
5. Preheat oven to 375℉. Bake loaves for 30-35 minutes until browned and cooked through.
6. Let cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove from pans and let cool completely on a cooling rack.