The nice thing about breakfast and brunch on the weekend is having the time to make something scrumptious once in a while. Serves 4 to 6.
1-1/2 cups plain yogurt (not Greek)
1/4 to 1/2 cup Beary Berry Honey of your choice (flavoured or plain)
3 to 4 cups sliced fresh fruit (strawberries, banana, peaches, apple, pear…whatever you like)
2 tbsp Beary Berry Honey of your choice (flavoured or plain)
1 cup milk (not non-fat or skim)
12 thick slices of bread (any kind works, but French bread, brioche, or challah egg bread are really good)
1/2 cup butter or oil
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt and enough honey to get the sweetness and flavour you like. Set aside. (Can be made the day ahead.)
- Slice or prep the fruit and set aside.
- Place a large fry pan on the stove. Turn heat on to just under medium.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the Beary Berry Honey, milk, and eggs.
- Dip the sliced bread in the egg mixture, leaving several seconds to saturate. Turn the bread to coat the other side. Only soak as many as can fit your pan at one time.
- Add a good sized knob of butter (about 2 to 3 tablespoons) and quickly stir to melt it.
- Add soaked slices of toast to the sizzling pan – don’t crowd them so they toast and fry evenly. Give them a good two or three minutes, allowing them to get nice and brown on one side, then turn over and fry-toast that side (add a bit more butter if you need). NOTE: if toasting too quickly, turn the heat down a bit.
- Serve the French toast hot with a good sized serving of fresh fruit and a dollop of the honey yogurt.